1: Where are you from originally?
I am originally from Florence, SC. My family and I moved to New Jersey in 2000 but we settled in the Poconos, PA for 12 years. We had made plans to move back south when our youngest daughter graduated high school just to be closer to family. So last June 2014 she graduated and we moved a few days later to Charlotte.
2. What is your favorite WOD/movement?
My favorite movements are cleans or clean and press.
3. What is your least favorite WOD/ Movement?
My least favorite is HSPU, which I cant do at all. And OH squats – but I’m starting to get accustomed to holding a bar over my head.
4. What were you doing before CrossFit? How did you hear about CrossFit and/ CrossFit Northlake?
Before Crossfit I was just going to a regular gym doing classes from cycling to body pump. I got into crossfit through one of our gym instructions. She had opened up a local crossfit gym in the Poconos called Crossfit Pocono. I went in for a free trial fell in love and never stopped.
While my family was planning the move, I would search Google for local CrossFit gyms in the areas where I thought we were going to be moving. I had narrowed it down to two and Northlake was one of them. I found Northlake on Facebook and I messaged Jason and he told me to come into the gym when I was in town. I also had a good friend in the CF gym that knew. My friend contacted Lauren and we spoke via Facebook and she gave me good vibes so here I am!
5. What other sports or activities do you participate in as a family besides CrossFit?
Well, I like to run on my days off work. As a family we also run together and sometimes I will make up a home workout for us to do together.
6. How many times per week do you CrossFit?
I crossfit 3-4 times a week
7. What is your athletic background?
I have no athletic background. I lived a sedentary life style.
8. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Northlake.
I can’t recall my first workout at Northlake but I’m sure I thought I was going to die or pass out. All of the workouts are challenging they keep you wanting to come back for more.
9. Do you have any special or favorite CrossFit Northlake memories/moments?
I will say my favorite memory at Northlake will be competing the Goddess games. It was sort of scary because I was new to this family, not really knowing many of the members. But I really enjoyed myself and I felt at home.
10. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining CrossFit Northlake?
Don’t quit! Keep coming back for more. It will only get better.
11. What is your eating style?
I try to eat 80-20 Paleo, the weekends are a challenge for me.
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Northlake?
I have gained a lot of strength. I also see more body definition.
13. What do you do for a living?
I am a Registered Nurse
14. What drives you to be an active family?
I try very hard to keep myself, and my family very active. I have a history of being obese. I was 220lbs. I was very close to being put on blood pressure medications at one point. But my doctor first suggested since I was borderline Hypertensive that he would monitor my blood pressure monthly if I increased my activity and made better food choices. That same day I joined a gym and I haven’t looked back. Lost around about 70lbs. And my blood pressure is excellent now. I am very happy with where I am today.