1: Where are you from originally?
I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. Love brought me to the United States, to Texas in 2008. In 2010 my husband’s job relocated him to NC.
2. What is your favorite WOD/movement?
Back and Front Squats! I also like jump squats, don’t know why but I find them fun!
3. What is your least favorite WOD/ Movement?
Seeing the word BURPEES on the board makes me shudder!
4. What were you doing before CrossFit? How did you hear about CrossFit and/ CrossFit Northlake?
I like to call myself a runner, but after several injuries and aches and pains I decided that I needed to work on strengthening my body and shedding pounds. One day I was watching TV and saw this thing called the “CrossFit Games.” I saw all these people doing all these crazy things. Things that made me wonder how they are even humanly possible. So, then I decided to give it a try to see if I would like to call myself a “CrossFitter,” and see how far I could push myself.
I visited a few boxes and saw their classes, and I liked what I saw but I wasn’t sold. Then I found CFN. It was convenient and close to my house so I went to check it out. While I was waiting to talk to Jason I was watching a class, and I loved what I saw. Jason was walking up and down the box making sure that everyone was doing the things right, encouraging people, and then I look a little further and I saw Amy (I knew it was her because of the picture on CFN site) and she was doing the WOD with everyone else and also monitoring and encouraging. I really did not experience that sense of genuinely caring for the members in any of the other boxes, and that made me think “these guys know what they are doing, like what they are doing, and will care about me and my goals”. So finally I signed up and fell in love with the sport. The members of CFN are very welcoming and supportive. I made new great friends. The best part is that now something that was “let me give it a try,” is now part of my life and something I look forward to!
5. What other sports or activities do you participate in as a family besides CrossFit?
I am a Spring and Summer time runner…. would you call that a part time runner? I love water skiing, wakeboarding and snow skiing. I just love the outdoors!
6. How many times per week do you CrossFit?
3 times per week, looking forward to increasing this once I am done with school.
7. What is your athletic background?
I have never been an all-star athlete, so I enjoy sports in which I challenge myself, me against me.
8. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Northlake.
- I never felt closer to being dead, but at the same time I have never felt so empowered!
9. Do you have any special or favorite CrossFit Northlake memories/moments?
Many! Some of those are:
- My first weeks when I was dead last and there was always someone that would do that last run, or those final burpees with me.
- When the board says to do a movement and here I am in Lala land cleaning the bar like 20 times because I did not pay attention to what I was supposed to do after that, and someone has to remind me about it
- Fun family workouts, like the 12 days of Christmas!
10. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining CrossFit Northlake?
- This is one of the best decisions you will ever make
- This is you against you, don’t be discouraged because you finish last or because you cannot do certain movements, you will get there!
- Have fun!
11. What is your eating style?
100% Paleo 80% of the time. Paleo has taught me to love fruits and veggies, it has increased my creativity in the kitchen and my love for bacon is growing stronger. However, I am Puerto Rican after all so I need to have my occasional rice and beans, and once in a while my therapeutic wine!
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Northlake
Most importantly, I am definitely mentally stronger and my endurance has significantly improved. As of this morning I am 25.8 pounds lighter than when I started!!!!!!! From size 14 to size 8! Working towards my goal of rocking some Lululemon shorts by mid-summer!
13. What do you do for a living?
I work full time in ACN as a Corporate Marketing Specialist, and I am currently enrolled in school in an MBA program.
14. What drives you to be an active family?
We just love nature and to live life to the fullest. We like to be physically fit for adventures like our last year’s Peruvian quest in which we hiked and camped for 4 days on the Inca Trail on our way to Machu Picchu.