February Athlete of the Month: Susan Lydon
1. Where are you from originally?
Fourth generation Charlottean.
2. What is your favorite Bootcamp movement?
Running, followed by Rowing
3. What is your least favorite Bootcamp Movement?
4. What were you doing before Bootcamp? How did you hear about CrossFit and/ Northlake Bootcamp?
I was running and doing group exercise at the YMCA. Darren and I did a Foundations Groupon at CrossFit LKN and loved it but it was just too far away. A running friend who knew Jason told us he was opening a CrossFit gym in Northlake. We would drive by just waiting for it to open! I did Crossfit for almost 2 years, then transitioned to Bootcamp once it started. I never felt comfortable with the Olympic lifting and always felt like I had to modify a lot of moves. But I never have to do that in Bootcamp.
5. What other sports or activities do you participate in besides Bootcamp?
Running. I’ve done 3 marathons in 3 years.
6. How many times per week do you Workout?
Bootcamp 3 or 4 days a week – only because Bootcamp isn’t scheduled everyday.
7. What is your athletic background?
None – didn’t play any sports in high school or college.
8. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Northlake.
I had just run my first marathon and I thought I was in pretty good shape – wrong!! But, I love it!
9. Do you have any special or favorite Northlake Bootcamp memories/moments?
One night last summer after the 7pm class did a group tire flip challenge out on the back dock, no one wanted to go home. Also, Jason’s birthday WOD. It rained so hard no one could go home. We ended up staying at the gym for several hours and everyone had a great time hanging out
10. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining Northlake Bootcamp?
Remember you are only competing with yourself, never compare your performance to the others in class.
11. What is your eating style?
Paleo-ish, but I need more carbs. I try not to eliminate anything though – I love food too much.
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Northlake?
Muscles I never knew I had plus I have shaved 20 minutes off my marathon time.
13. What do you do for a living?
Client Account Manager in Retirement/401k at Wells Fargo.